The state government has decided to take tough action against those submitting fake documents to procure a seat under the Right to Education (RTE). Speaking to Mirror, an Education Department official said, “Following numerous complaints, we plan to take criminal action against such parents, as we don’t want genuine students to be left out.”
According to officials, the income certificate was where most parents declared false information. “Around 65 to 70 per cent of the income certificates which we receive from parents are in the range of Rs 10,000 to Rs 20,000 per annum. A few years, around 90 per cent of the certificates would declare belonging to that income bracket.
We then realised officials were probably bribed to create a fake income certificate for such parents,” said an official. He added that some parents produced fake address documents, voter identity or Aadhar cards, to show they resided in the same locality as the school, so their child may be given preference for admission. Thirdly, though birth certificates cannot be faked easily, some parents took to producing false certificates of a self-declaration over age. As the RTE rules stipulate a certain age for admission, parents produce such false certificates so students get admitted at entry levels.
Speaking on the issue, Karnataka Associated Managements of English Medium Schools (KAMS) general secretary D Shashi Kumar, said, “The fake certificates have become a menace and in fact, we have lodged many cases and handed these to the Education Department. Hope they take serious action on the issue.” Reacting to this, an Education Department official said, “We will be going for serious action for RTE admissions this year. We have already mandated that students should have completed the age of 3 years and 10 months for nursery admissions or five years and 10 months for the first standard admissions. We have also made it mandatory for original Aadhar card or voter identity card be produced to show the age and residence proof. We hope this will keep all the fake certificates at bay.”
1. 25 per cent free admission. Schools say that admission process is affected as the government doesn’t fill up the 25 per cent of RTE seats till July, due to which the admissions for the rest 75 per cent of the seats get delayed.
2. Reimbursement arrival at per child expenditure for pre-primary LKG-UKG is just Rs 5,924/-. Schools say that expenditure per child was fixed as Rs 5,924 per annum in 2012-13, and since then it had not been revised. The schools also argue that reimbursements are to be made in the month of September and January. However, it gets delayed by six to eight months every year. The reimbursements are done looking at the expenditure of previous year account statements and the government has failed to consider the expenditure of planning, non-planning and other issues to provide elementary education by all heads of accounts, which crosses more than the prescribed child expenditure. Reacting to this, officials said they have received a memorandum from schools and will discuss the issue.