Pune | Many schools still keep out RTE students

Pune: It was a chaotic first day for the 25% reservation quota admissions in schools under the Right to Education (RTE) Act on Monday as parents alleged that school authorities had sent the students back without admitting them to classes. Activists and parents protested outside the school board office of the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) following refusal of admission by schools.

They were instructed by the school board to give admission to students allotted seats in the first round of the online process. Following the high court orders, schools were told to resume the admission process as per the dual entry system. Schools, however, insisted that their entry point was nursery and would admit students in only one class. A written affirmation by schools has been submitted to the school board.

The team of school board officials visited at least four to five schools in Kothrud area which denied admission to students as per complaints of parents. A parent said, “I went to the Millenium School in Kothrud for admission of my child in class I. However, the school authorities told us that admission will be given to students only at nursery level. The online admission process, however, allotted Millennium School for my ward for class I admission. I also have a record of the SMS about the allotment received from the education department.”

Parents said that it has been a long wait for them after the case was in the court for more than two months. “Now that the court has given clear directions, the schools are still refusing admissions. It is unfair for us and we cannot keep our children away from school any longer,” protesting parents waiting for two hours outside the Millennium School, said.

Nupur Mane, school official at Millennium School, said, “The parents and the PMC school board officials came to our school on Monday. We told them that we respect the court’s orders, but we will only admit students in the nursery class. We have also given a written explanation to the school board officials regarding our stand.”

The Aam Admi Party, Pune that was helping parents admit their children in allotted schools reported at least three more schools to the PMC school board that were refusing admissions to students. Abhijit More, convenor of AAP in Pune, said, “We were successful in convincing one Kothrud-based school to admit allotted students in the school after explaining the court orders and the mandatory admission rules. The school has promised us that all seven students allotted under the online process would be admitted to class on Tuesday.”

AAP party workers have said that a police complaint will be filed against schools that do not admit students and send them back despite allotment.

B K Dahiphale, chief of PMC school board, said, “Despite crystal clear orders from the high court to admit students as per the dual entry system in nursery as well as class I, schools continue to refuse students. We have told parents to file a police complaint against schools that refuse admission. We may cancel the school’s ‘no objection certificate’, if they are adamant on their decision.”

BLURB

The school board had conducted a meeting of principals last week in order to make them aware regarding the court decisions of dual entry point. Over 100 school principals attended this meeting and also agreed to follow court orders.

Source: The Times of India

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.