A large number of parents of students from the economically weaker section (EWS) protested outside Mantralaya on Wednesday afternoon. The protest was against the education department for delaying the process of admission under the Right to Education (RTE) Act 25% quota for the academic year 2016-17 in city schools.
Members of the Anudanit Shikshan Bachao Samiti were also part of the protest. The NGO is helping parents from the first learner’s generation to fill the admission form and help them submit the same through the website given by the education department. The parents, in their letter to education minister Vinod Tawde, demanded that the children who were rejected by schools in the second round of RTE admission of 2015-16 held in January be given admission in the forthcoming academic year.
Samiti secretary K Narayan said, “We met the education minister on March 15 and asked him to increase the criteria of income certificate from Rs1 lakh to Rs3 lakh. Also, he assured us that this year’s admission process of RTE will start by March 22. But looking at the delay in the start of the admission process, the parents got annoyed; hence the protest. We want the education department to also help those students who received messages of confirmation of admission last year but the same didn’t materialise.”
Echoing Narayan, Sudhir Paranjpe, convenor of the Samiti, said, “We couldn’t meet the minister so we submitted the demands of parents in a letter. We have demanded that changes be made in the criteria of income certificate of Rs1 lakh asked from EWS parents to avail admission under the quota. In today’s inflationary times, no house can run on Rs1 lakh income annually. The education department has said it will discuss this and take a decision soon.”
Source : dnaindia