Mumbai | Schools to challenge RTE rules before HC

Mumbai: Private schools are planning to challenge the January 2015 Maharashtra government resolution that specified two levels of entry for admissions under the Right To Education quota. The Bombay high court on Tuesday gave the schools time to amend their petition following the government’s decision to revive the January rules. A division bench of Justice Anoop Mohta and Justice Vijay Achliya scheduled the matter for further hearing on August 6, 2015.

The state had last week informed the HC that it had withdrawn a controversial April 30, 2015, rule that allowed private schools to cancel pre primary admissions under the RTE quota. It revived the January rules two levels of entry — one at the pre primary level and the other at Class One, in cases where the number of seats differed at these classes requiring fresh admissions in a school. The state said that this was necessary in order to ensure that the 25 per cent RTE quota for students from economically weak sections of the society in private schools can be maintained in every class.

According to statistics submitted by the state government, as of July 21, 2015, over 22,406 students are still waiting for admissions under the RTE quota across Maharashtra for the 2015-16 academic year to pre-primary and Class one. In 13 districts, including Mumbai and Thane, around 31,205 applications were verified by the state for admissions to pre-primary and standard one in the RTE quota. Of these only 8,799 students were actually admitted in schools after the first round.Private schools are planning to challenge the January 2015 Maharashtra government resolution that specified two levels of entry for admissions under the Right To Education quota. The Bombay high court on Tuesday gave the schools time to amend their petition following the government’s decision to revive the January rules. A division bench of Justice Anoop Mohta and Justice Vijay Achliya scheduled the matter for further hearing on August 6, 2015.

The state had last week informed the HC that it had withdrawn a controversial April 30, 2015, rule that allowed private schools to cancel pre primary admissions under the RTE quota. It revived the January rules two levels of entry — one at the pre primary level and the other at Class One, in cases where the number of seats differed at these classes requiring fresh admissions in a school. The state said that this was necessary in order to ensure that the 25 per cent RTE quota for students from economically weak sections of the society in private schools can be maintained in every class.

According to statistics submitted by the state government, as of July 21, 2015, over 22,406 students are still waiting for admissions under the RTE quota across Maharashtra for the 2015-16 academic year to pre-primary and Class one. In 13 districts, including Mumbai and Thane, around 31,205 applications were verified by the state for admissions to pre-primary and standard one in the RTE quota. Of these only 8,799 students were actually admitted in schools after the first round.

Source: The Times of India

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.