Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday informed the Bombay high court that it would revive two levels of entry for the seats to be reserved in private schools under the Right to Education quota. Assistant government pleader Nitin Deshpande told a division bench of Justice Anoop Mohta and Justice Vijay Achliya that the state would withdraw its April 30 rules and reintroduce the norms that it had framed in January 2015.
This year two circulars were issued by the state one in January 2015 and another in April 2015 led to controversy. The January circular specified two levels of entry – one at pre primary level and the other at Class One, in cases where the number of seats differed requiring fresh admissions. The April circular allowed schools to cancel RTE quota for pre primary classes. The HC directed the state that it was liable to reimburse fees for students admitted in RTE quota in pre-primary classes and also stayed the April circular. Senior advocate Mihir Desai, counsel for some of the NGO petitioners had said that the two levels of entry was necessary to ensure that the 25 per cent RTE seats were maintained.
TOI had earlier reported that over 22,406 students are still waiting for admissions under the 25 per cent Right To Education quota across Maharashtra for the 2015-16 academic year to pre-primary and Class one.
Source: The Times of India