Kolhapur: Following a high court directive, the Kolhapur Municipal Corporation (KMC) and the district primary education department have resumed the admission process for the 25% Right to Education (RTE) quota candidates. However, the admission rate so far this year is just 9.6% in the city and 40.39% for the district.
A report by the district primary education department states that the pre-primary admissions have received the lowest response, with merely 55 students admitted across district and 22 in the city. For class 1, it was merely 57 admissions in the city and 1,349 across the district.
In 2014-15, when the city and district were considered as one unit, the admission rate was 60%. This year, the education department of the KMC had conducted the admission procedure online. The district education department had aimed at achieving an admission rate of 80% this year.
PS Surve, acting administrative officer at the KMC’s education department said the first round of admissions will be completed by July 21. “We are waiting for further instructions about the process,” she added.
District primary education officer Subhash Chaugule said the admission rate will be reviewed in the coming days the admission procedure will be extended till next month if needed.
Chaugule, who has taken charge on July17, said enhancing the RTE admission rate and spreading it to its rightful beneficiaries will be the first and foremost aim of the department.
The state government had issued a notice on April 30, cancelling admissions to pre-primary schools allotted in the first round under the RTE quota. But, following a petition filed by a few schools in Pune and Solapur, the high court on May 7 stayed the government notice. However, The Kagad Kach Patra Kashtakari Panchayat, a wastepickers’ collective in Pune, filed a public interest litigation seeking resumption of the process and completion of it at the earliest.
On July 15, the high court directed the government to resume pre-primary and class I admissions of students who have applied under the reservation scheme. The next hearing of the petition will be held on July 22.
Reacting to the court directive, the state education department had issued a circular to all schools to complete the first round of admissions by July 21. On Thursday the applicants started receiving SMS notifications confirming their ward’s admission in the school allotted to them.
The education department official said they will be completing the first round of admission process by July 21 and the second round will be processed immediately.
Source: The Times of India