Kolhapur | RTE admission gets fourth extension in a month

Kolhapur: With no takers for the Right to Education (RTE) 25% admission quota, the district primary education department has extended the deadline further to May 23 from the earlier May 16. This is the department’s fourth extension over the past 30 days.

The department has seen registration of a meagre 339 applications for over 3,000 seats in 288 schools in the last month.

An official from the district primary education department said that schools were asked to fill in all details about their class strength and their entry level point in March. Schools had the power to decide as to whether their entry point would be at the class I or pre-primary level. The next step was applications by the parents, however this was hit hard by technical snags.

“The process has witnessed many halts due to technical difficulties over the past two months. Since the admission procedure is online for the very first time, this had quite an impact on the number of registrations,” an official said.

 The official added that filling the admission form was a requirement to participate in the lottery, which was the next step in the admission process. However, there are hardly any applications opting for the lottery option.
Last year, with over 40% RTE seats vacant across the district, the admission process had to be extended to September, after the poor response in the district.
 Under the RTE Act, economically and socially disadvantaged children, as well as those with disabilities, can be admitted in class I or at the pre-primary stage, of private unaided and aided schools.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.