The admission process under the Right to Education Act (RTE) has made slow progress in Kolar district with only 627 children, out of 2926 seats reserved, getting admitted to schools. It comes to around only 20 per cent.
The admission process which began on May 10 will continue till May 23. There are 278 private schools to which students can get admissions under RTE quota.
Of the 627 children admitted so far, 161 belonged to Scheduled Caste and 27 to Scheduled Tribe. 457 students belonged to Other Backward Classes. Two children with disabilities also got admission.
A circular issued by the State government has been attributed as the reason for the confusion and tardy progress in the admission process. “The seats which were granted to children based on the applications submitted by their parents to the schools which do not come under the jurisdiction of their respective wards or villages should be cancelled” is the instruction contained in the circular.
This has resulted in confusion both to the parents and officials of the Education Department. It also caused verbal duels between the parents and authorities. The parents even staged protests in front of DDPI and BEO offices.
While parents argue that their wards should be given admission in the selected schools, the officials say they have to abide by the directions of the government.
“Giving preference to the local students was the intention of the government”, RTE district nodal officer C.R. Ashok said. There is no meaning in protests by parents without understanding this, he said.
Source : The Hindu