With several parents changing their child’s date of birth, wards, phone numbers and filing multiple applications to obtain an RTE quota seat in private unaided schools, officials of the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) are now struggling to scrutinise the 2.75 lakh applications they have received so far.
In an attempt to secure a seat, officials said that some parents have fabricated details and even worked out several permutations and combinations to obtain a seat. “With the entire system being computerised, genuine candidates may not be able to obtain seats as some parents have fudged their details,” a department official said. Although the number of applications is 2.75 lakh, the number of schools applied to will be far more and is yet to be compiled by the department.
The number of seats available under the RTE quota across the State is 1.19 lakh and the number of applications represents an inflated demand as there are multiple applications.
Commissioner for Public Instruction Mohammad Mohsin said that the department officials have been directed to screen the applications to look for duplication and weed out multiple applications.
After several activists and parent associations met Minister of State for Primary and Secondary Education Kimmane Ratnakar, the deadline to apply for the RTE quota seats, which was supposed to be on Thursday, has been extended till February 21.
Meanwhile, the servers for applying for the RTE quota seats online on Wednesday were not functioning. Many parents complained that they were not able to upload their applications. Department officials claimed that it was because the number of applications received was far too many. To tackle this, department officials have been instructed to close the school portals and make arrangements for public to apply without any glitches.
Source: The Hindu