Mumbai: The government resolution (GR) clarifying that children from economically disadvantaged sections would get admission under the Right to Education Act only in Std I and not in pre-primary sections has left parents in a quandary.
Armed with copies of the GR, schools have started cancelling admissions of RTE students in pre-primary sections. Their parents are now worried as admissions in most schools are over.
Sheena Khan (name changed), a widow and mother of two, said her daughter got admission under RTE last year and the child is in Jr KG. “If the school removes her too, then I will be nowhere. I have also applied for my younger son’s admission in nursery under RTE. The government should have taken this decision much before as all schools are done with the admission process. ”
Abhishek Tiwari, another parent, said his daughter has attended school for about 10 days and was very happy. “Today, we got a call from the school. We were shown a copy of the GR and asked to return the books on Monday. If she asks me why she can’t go to school any more, what will I tell her?”
According to state government, since the cost of education will be reimbursed to schools from Std I, children cannot be admitted in pre-primary section under the RTE quota.
Vijay Kanojia, state general secretary, Mumbai Pradesh Youth Congress, said, “This decision will put the children in a lot of distress as they will be suddenly stopped from going to school.”
Educationists too slammed the government over the timing of the decision. “If a child has developed attachment with the school environment, then stopping him/her from going to school will harm the kid. Since admissions are already over in many schools, these parents can take their children to Balwadis and Anganwadis where they can cover their kindergarten curriculum for the next two years.”
Source: dna India