‘A majority of people were unable to use online facility for submitting applications’
The Hassan District Education Rights Committee has criticised the State government for the way applications had been accepted this year for admission in private schools under the Right to Education Act. The online facility for submitting applications and the annual income limit fixed for claiming seats under the Act have been criticised by the committee.
B.G. Gopala Krishna, president of the committee, said in a press release issued here on Sunday that the applications were made available online from January 18 to February 21. Since the beginning, the servers were slow, forcing the applicants to wait for long hours to complete the process. The objective of the RTE was to provide the downtrodden people with an access to quality education. “The idea of introducing online submission of applications is absurd as many people hardly get access to internet to submit applications. Despite repeated demands for more time to apply, the government extended it by two days,” he said. The government had allowed families with Rs. 3.5-lakh annual income to seek seats under RTE Act. “This is against the interests of poor people and favourable to the rich,” he said.
Source: The Hindu