Over 28,000 RTE quota seats remain vacant

As many as 28,530 seats of the total 1.15 lakh under the Right to Education (RTE) Act quota have not been filled in the State this year.

While 78,546 admissions were made during the first round, 8,161 students were admitted during the second round.

Although 16,802 children were allotted seats, many parents are yet to approach the schools even though the deadline for admissions ended on Saturday. While 1,478 applications were rejected owing to errors in the documents or duplication in the second round, several applicants have decided not to admit their children as the schools allotted to them were not their first preference.

“Although the last date for admissions is over, we still have to analyse if there is a need to extend the last date under the second round,” an official in the Department of Public Instruction said.

Source : The Hindu

Pune | 2nd draw of lottery for RTE seats 4,771 get allotments for Pune District

The second draw of lottery for the 25 per cent admissions reserved for economically weaker students under the Right to Education (RTE) Act took place on Thursday, but it took another day for the education officials to receive the final numbers of allotments from the National Informatics Centre.

Musthaq Shaikh, primary education officer of Zilla Parishad, said the draw of seats was conducted online and parents started receiving SMS alerts about the admissions from Thursday evening.

“There are a total of 16,894 seats available for RTE quota admissions across the 780 schools in Pune district, this year. Of these, 6,144 allotments were already done after the first round. There were 10,750 seats available for the second round, out of which 4,771 allotments have been completed. Parents started receiving SMSs from Thursday evening on whether their children were allotted seats. Once the SMS is received, parents will have to go to the allotted school to confirm admissions,” said Shaikh.

He added that 264 schools had received zero applications, this round. This year, over 18,500 applications were received for the 16,894 seats in Pune, he said.

A six-day period from June 17 to June 23 has been allotted for parents to visit schools to confirm admissions. “The parents can go to the school with the SMS and all the documents that they had submitted after filling the online form. They need not pay any money to confirm the admissions,” said Shaikh.

He added that after June 23, schools would be given at least 2-3 days to update the data on confirmed seats. “By June 25, the date for third round of admissions will be declared and we will try to finish off the process by the first week of July, so students do not face any academic losses,” added Shaikh.

Source : The Indian Express

Mumbai | EWS admissions: FIR against Mumbai agents for issuing fake income certificates to parents

THE DINDOSHI police registered a case of forgery and cheating against unidentified agents on Saturday after 66 parents approached them with complaints.

The parents, who had applied for admission for their children under the Right to Education Act, said the agents had charged them huge amounts in return for bogus income certificates. Gayatri Gupta, a parent from Malad east seeking admission for her son, said she had paid Rs 3,000 to an agent last year after the latter promised the certificate in a couple of days. “He (the agent) said the process of getting an income certificate would take 15-20 days but he could get it done in a couple of days,” she said.

She said she had submitted the certificate online during admissions last year but realised that it was fake after the school told her so this April. “I was told by the school management that my son’s admission had been cancelled because the income certificate we had submitted was bogus,” she said.

According to the police, the parents were vying for 25 per cent seats reserved for the Economically Weaker Sections under RTE at five ICSE-board schools run by the Goenka Education Trust in Goregaon East.

Inspector Ravi Adane said the parents had obtained the income certificates, declaring that they belong to the EWS, through agents and submitted those at the schools while seeking admission. “The schools sent the certificates to the tehsildar office for scrutiny. But the tehsildar said the certificates were bogus,” he said. Rubina Patel, another parent, said she had taken an agent’s help in 2013 after many of her neighbours in the E-ward slums had successfully gained admission for their children through the agent. “The agent had a reputation for getting income certificates in time in the area. I came to know about him through word-of-mouth and later sought his help for my daughter’s admission to nursery in 2013. I only found out that the certificate was fake this year,” said Patel.

“The schools are not responsible for the certificates. When we asked the parents, they said they do not know who the agents are,” he said. The police are looking for the agents.

Source : The Indian Express

Mumbai | RTE admission: Schools to now get Rs 17,329 per student reimbursement

Mumbai: The state government has increased the reimbursement given to schoolsfor students admitted under the Right to Education Act 2009 in the 2015-16 academic year.

Schools will now receive a maximum of Rs 17,329 per student as fees for the year. This is up from last year’s Rs 13,474.

Schools have welcomed the hike, though many of them have not received reimbursement for the past several years.

All unaided non-minority schools in the state have to reserve 25% of their entry-level intake capacity for admission to students from economically weaker sections. A recent government resolution , issued by the state school education department, said schools will be given reimbursement of Rs 17,329 or the actual tutition fees, whichever is lower, for RTE admissions.

Schools said raising the limit of reimbursements was necessary. “Our expense per child per year is much more than what the government gives. Hence, we had to pass on the burden to other students by increasing their fees, which is unfair,” said the trustee of a group of schools. “There is also a need for increased awareness about the modalities of the Act, especially for officials in the rural areas of the state.”

But schools are upset that reimbursements for admissions done in the past are still pending. “It is good that they will hike the amount, but they have not given us all our money from the previous years. We have received only a part payment following a high court order,” said Sunita Goenka, trustee of Goenka Associates Educational Trust, which runs four schools in Mumbai and Thane. “We have admitted over 1,000 students in all these years, but have got no reimbursement for our schools in Thane.”

Source : The Times of India

Karnataka | Consider plea to hike RTE fee reimbursement, says High Court

The High Court on Wednesday directed the principal secretary, department of primary and secondary education to consider the representation of Associated Managements of Government Recognised English Medium Schools in Karnataka within six weeks.

Justice Aravind Kumar partly allowed the petition filed by KAMS, which had sought directions to revise the reimbursement of fees of children admitted to private schools under the 25% of the seats reserved under the Right to Education Act, 2009.

The petitioner had contended that the government has implemented a new pay scale in 2012 for the staff of the government and aided institutions and till date increase the dearness allowance by 32.5%. The government is using different yardstick while dealing with aided and unaided schools and has not increased the reimbursement amount since 2012, the petitioner’s advocate G R Mohan argued.

The petitioner has contended the state government has chosen not to revise the reimbursement of fees for students who are admitted in private unaided non-minority schools under the RTE quota. The state government has fixed an annual fees of Rs 5,924 for pre-primary and Rs 11,848 for Class I.

The bench directed the department to consider the representation in view of Section 12(2) of the RTE Act, 2009 and Rule 8(1) of the Karnataka RTE Rules, 2012, which talks about reimbursement of amount for children studying under RTE.

Source : Deccan Herald

Maharashtra | Schools may not reopen on due date

Unaided schools in the city and state have said that they will not be reopening on the scheduled June 15 date as the government has failed to reimburse the fees for the students admitted under 25 per cent reservation quota of the Right to Education (RTE) Act for the past three years. The schools have also said that apart from the reimbursement they also want the amount to be brought at par with what is being paid per student in government run schools. The schools have written to the school education department regarding the same and are awaiting a response from them.

Rajendra Singh, president of the Federation of Private Unaided Schools Association of Maharashtra said that in the absence of reimbursements it was becoming extremely difficult for the schools to continue operations. “Numerous unaided schools have refused to accept admissions under the RTE quota for the academic year 2016-17 due to non-payment of arrears. Rather than paying the arrears the state derecognised many of them,” said Mr Singh.

He further added, “As the cost of running the school has gone up and the government is not showing any haste in paying the arrears, the private unaided schools across the state are left with no option but to keep the schools shut. We have written to the education department informing them about our decision. If there is still no response, we will be forced to keep the schools shut,” said Mr Singh.

While principal secretary of school education Nand Kumar was unreachable for comment, an official said that the reimbursement file of the schools was forwarded to the finance department and their response was awaited.

Source : The Asian Age

Mumbai | Increased RTE reimbursement is still insufficient, say schools

MUMBAI: The state school education department has increased the compensation to schools for admitting students from economically weaker sections to the 25% reserved seats under the Right to Education (RTE) quota.

In a notification dated May 30, the state government increased the reimbursement amount to be given to schools by around Rs2,000.

Earlier, schools were being paid Rs14, 621 per child during academic year 2013-14 and Rs12,315 per child during academic year 2012-13.

The compensation for academic year 2015-16 has been raised to Rs17,321 per child. This proposal has been sent to the Centre for its nod. Schools will be reimbursed this amount or their tuition fees, whichever is less. The amount will keep increasing every year, said officials.

Schools, however, have said that the compensation amount is not sufficient and will not cover their expenses. “Besides tuition fees, we also provide several facilities and infrastructure to the students. The amount fixed by the government will barely meet our expenses,” said Amol Dhamdhere, vice-president, Indian Education Society Group of Schools.

Some schools are also upset because the notification does not mention any reimbursement for admitting students to the pre-primary section. The Bombay high court had ordered the government to reimburse schools for admitting students to the pre-primary section.

“In the past three years, we have admitted 1,000 students to seats reserved under the RTE quota and have nearly 323 vacant seats reserved in the pre-primary section,” said a representative of Goenka and Associates Educational Trust that runs schools in Goregaon and Thane. “Our fees are nearly Rs3,000 per month, but we have still not been reimbursed fully.”

Source : Hindustan Times

Kolhapur | RTE admission: Extension ends on Monday amid poor response

KOLHAPUR: The fourth extension to the Right to Education (RTE) 25% admission quota by the district primary education department will come to an end on Monday, May 23 amid poor response. The department earlier had extended the deadline to May 23 from earlier May 16, after receiving the poor response to the admission process.

According to the officials the number has not improved much even after the extension.

The department was forced to extend the process after it received few registrations; 339 to be specific, for over 3,000 seats in 288 schools.

 An official from the department said that the admission procedure has been organised through online mode for the very first time, and it is likely that it had an impact on the number of registrations.
 It has to be noted that last year, with more than 40% RTE seats remaining in vacant position in the district, the admission process had to be extended to the month of September, after the poor response in the district.
Under the RTE act, economically and socially disadvantaged children, as well as those with disabilities, can be admitted in Class I or at the pre-primary stage, of private unaided and aided schools.

Kolar | Only 627 seats filled under RTE in Kolar

The admission process under the Right to Education Act (RTE) has made slow progress in Kolar district with only 627 children, out of 2926 seats reserved, getting admitted to schools. It comes to around only 20 per cent.

The admission process which began on May 10 will continue till May 23. There are 278 private schools to which students can get admissions under RTE quota.

Of the 627 children admitted so far, 161 belonged to Scheduled Caste and 27 to Scheduled Tribe. 457 students belonged to Other Backward Classes. Two children with disabilities also got admission.

Confusion

A circular issued by the State government has been attributed as the reason for the confusion and tardy progress in the admission process. “The seats which were granted to children based on the applications submitted by their parents to the schools which do not come under the jurisdiction of their respective wards or villages should be cancelled” is the instruction contained in the circular.

This has resulted in confusion both to the parents and officials of the Education Department. It also caused verbal duels between the parents and authorities. The parents even staged protests in front of DDPI and BEO offices.

While parents argue that their wards should be given admission in the selected schools, the officials say they have to abide by the directions of the government.

“Giving preference to the local students was the intention of the government”, RTE district nodal officer C.R. Ashok said. There is no meaning in protests by parents without understanding this, he said.

Source : The Hindu

Dakshina Kannada| RTE: 791 applications for admission to Class 1 cleared

As many as 791 applications for admission to Class 1 in unaided schools under the Right to Education Act have been cleared in Dakshina Kannada.

There were discrepancies in 1,073 applications and the Department of Public Instruction has to take a decision on them.

As many as 3,398 applications were filed online for admission to 2,274 seats available in Dakshina Kannada for LKG and Class 1 in unaided schools.

As much as 25 per cent of seats in the neighbourhood unaided schools are set apart for economically weak and disabled children. The State government pays for the education of these students.

Following the first round of draw of lots, seats were allocated to 1,674 applicants. Deputy Commissioners of each district were asked to scrutinise documents of each of the selected applicant and approve only those where details were proper.

Deputy Commissioner A.B. Ibrahim at a meeting here on Friday said that they had cleared 791 applications.

Department’s discretion

“They have to get their children admitted to the school by May 23. We are leaving it to the department to decide on the 1,073 applications,” he said.

During a meeting following the scrutiny on Friday, the applicants pointed out the way officials had rejected their applications on the ground that the school they had chosen was outside the place they reside.

Rejected

A woman from Simantoor said that her application for admission to the school located 1 km away from her house was rejected as the school was in the neighbouring gram panchayat.

Another applicant from Sullia said his application was rejected as the Aadhaar number mentioned during online submission was different from the Aadhaar document he had produced.

Deputy Director of Public Instruction Walter D’Mello said that some among the 1,073 applicants would be allowed to take part in the second draw of lots for seat allocation.

As many as 3,398 applications were filed online for admission to

2,274 seats

Source : The Hindu