BENGALURU: Private school managements in the state have warned the state government of not admitting kids selected under Right to Education (RTE) quota for the academic year 2016-17.
The Department of Public Instruction has started the process of receiving applications from eligible parents to fill 25 per cent of seats under RTE and the last date to submit applications is March 15. But, private school managements are saying they will not admit the students if the dues towards fee reimbursement is not cleared.
D Shashi Kumar, general secretary, Karnataka Associated Management of Primary and Secondary Schools said, “The state government has to pay the dues for the previous year. Most schools in the city and North Karnataka have not received the second installment. Every year the government does this to us. But, this year we have decided not to admit kids for the next academic year.”
“We cannot accept delays any more. Even we have to run the schools, we have to pay salaries.”
There is another allegation from the managements that the reimbursement amount was not being calculated in a proper manner. “Even to get the reimbursement amount released, schools have to pay bribes,” he said.
There are over 16,000 private schools in the state affiliated to different boards. A majority are in cities like Bengaluru, Mysuru, Mangaluru, Shivamogga and Hubballi-Dharwad. The government has fixed a reimbursement amount of Rs 11,800 per child.
Had Threatened Last Year Too
During 2015-16, the private school managements had threatened the state government in a similar manner. But it was much before the process started and they had also submitted a representation to the education minister.
Source : The New Indian Express