Eligibility Criteria for Economically Disadvantaged Communities
1. Children belonging to the following communities
- Scheduled Cast
- Scheduled Tribe
- Backward Classes
- Class I
- Class IIA
- Class IIB
- Class IIIA
- Class IIIB
- Migrant and Street Child
- Child with special needs
- HIV affected/infected child
2. Children belonging to other communities not mentioned above but whose parents’ or guardians’ incomes are less than Rs. 3.5 Lakhs (Rs. 3,500,000)
The following rules are applicable to private and government aided non-minority schools under the 25% RTE law:
- The school must earmark 25% of the seats in its earliest incoming class to people from economically disadvantaged communities that are within a 1km radius of the school.
- Of this 25%, 7.5 % must be earmarked to children from Scheduled Casts (SC)
- Of this 25%, 1.5% must be earmarked to children from Scheduled Tribes (ST)
- The balance 16% of seats must be available to the other categories of children and economically disadvantaged communities from the neighborhood.
- If the number of SC applications is less than the 7.5% quota, the remaining seats can be made available to ST children.
- Similarly, if the number of ST applicants is less than 1.5% quote, the remaining seats can be made available to SC children.
- If the combined applicants from SC and ST are less than the 9% quota, those seats can be opened to children from other economically disadvantaged communities
- All school fees, and cost of books as well as uniforms is covered by the school up to Class 10.
- Schools are not allowed to discriminate or screen the students or their families. They cannot charge capitation fees, interview the parents/children or make the children take any sort of admissions test.
RTE admissions end on Feb 19.
- This means that all online applications must be filed on or before the 19th of February.
- Supporting documentation, like birth certificates, cast identification, proof of residence and proof of income can be submitted after this date.
To see the complete list of private schools in North Bangalore, along with information like entry class, and seats available, click here.
To see the complete list of private schools in South Bangalore, along with information like entry class, and seats available, click here.
The online application for the 2015-2016 academic year can be found here .