Agra | RTE: Over 600 EWS students’ future at stake

Agra: New academic session in most of the schools has begun but at least 600 children belonging to the economically weaker section (EWS) are left in lurch due to the alleged apathy of basic education department. The department got about 600 applications under the EWS category for admission to private schools under the Right to Education (RTE) Act this year. According to the act, all the private schools have to reserve a portion of the seats for children belonging to the EWS category. Even though, the classes in all the schools kicked off from April 1, the education department is yet to complete the data feeding work of the application received under the category. It is only after the feeding work is done that the department starts the next step of inspection to short list the candidates who fulfil the criteria. According to officials, the entire process may take around 15 to 20 more days. The department officials had earlier claimed that they will complete the process before the beginning of new session. Basic shiksha adhikari (BSA), Dharmendra Saxena, said that some of the applications came late leading to the delay. “Data feeding work is almost complete. Few forms came late due to which the delay occurred. Department will ensure admission of all eligible students in private schools of their choice free of cost under Right to Education as soon as possible,” Saxena told TOI. In the previous academic session, the department had listed only 92 children eligible for admission to private schools. RTE Act came into force in 2009. Under it there is 25% quota for students from weaker section in private schools.

Source : The Times of India

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *